05 : Building of the church 1914-1916
The foundation stone was laid on 13th June 1914 by Miss Mary Baron, who (with her two sisters) lived in Cleveland Road, Ealing, and had been major donors and supporters, and blessed by the Bishop of Kensington, Dr J P Maud. The unmarked foundation stone is situated at the base of the south chancel arch. Problems arose in 1915, with a dispute between the architect and the builders over the poor quality of some of the timber. Furthermore, Shearman had not informed the builders that the two West Towers were not being built, and 15000 bricks had been lifted onto the roof unnecessarily. The builders threatened to withdraw from the project, and subsequently Shearman was dismissed as architect, with Tyler continuing in this role. The church was finally consecrated on Saturday 3rd June 1916 by the Bishop of London, Dr Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram. Two months before, 12,900 wooden floor blocks had been purchased, and 600 chairs and kneeling pads were bought from Harrods on May 23rd. The church was so full that the doors were closed about 15 minutes before the service, many of the congregation stood throughout the service and many others were unable to gain admission. A consecration hymn had been written by written by Mrs Betty Mitchell, wife of the first Vicar. There were 300-400 communicants on the following day. Rev Walter Mitchell was subsequently inducted as Vicar on 17th September 1917.