20 : The ‘new’ organ 2011
Our ‘new’ organ was obtained from St Jude’s Southsea, and dates back to 1851, when the opening recital on the original 2-manual organ was given by S S Wesley, the famous composer of hymn tunes and anthems. The last major rebuild at St Jude’s was by Hill and Son in 1877. This outstanding instrument has 3 manuals and 45 stops, and was installed in St Barnabas in 2011 by Nicholson & Co of Malvern, following a magnificent legacy of £200,000 from the late Director of Music, Hazel Baker, who passed away in 2010. Click here for full details of our wonderful organ, including a specification. Although Hazel never played it in St Barnabas, she gained much pleasure in playing it in St Jude’s, and the organ is a worthy memorial to a remarkable and much-loved lady. Here are some photos of the organ in St Jude’s Southsea, and Hazel seated at the console.
And here are two photographs of the organ after it was installed in St Barnabas in 2011. The row of pipes on the left of the tall pipes are ‘fake’ and don’t sound, but they balance aesthetically the ‘active’ pipes on the right side, seen in the photo from St Judes. The night-time photo is by David Park.